Monday, August 20, 2012

The Boy Of The Night Part 9


Not recommend for people thirteen and under


(Valentine)

       "Mommy?" Issac asked Rae as he walled up to her, my wife bending down to pick him up. Issac was now four, and he would be turning five next month. He spoke perfectly, and was very aware of his surroundings. He could always be found taking his toys apart and making them into something new ", I have a question."
       "Sure Issac, what is it?"
       "Why do you and daddy not have a baby yet? You said when I was younger that I was going to be a big brother. What happened?"
       I tried to not cry as Issac asked about us not having another child. We'd been trying ever since we first got married, but with no luck with Rae getting pregnant. No matter what we did, she was still unable to get pregnant again.



       Rae tried to keep from tearing up as she picked Issac up, trying to fake a smile. She wanted another child just as much as I did, and at times I could tell she thought it was her fault and that I was mad at her. I didn't know why we weren't having any success, but it wasn't Rae's fault, and I couldn't be mad at her about something like this.
       "We don't know what's going on Issac, but don't worry, you will be a big brother one way or another, I promise."



       That night we tried yet once again, but I decided to confront Rae about the situation. We had to figure out what was going on, and then figure out what to do after that.
       "Rae, I love you and everything, but I have to know what you think is going on. We didn't have any problems having Issac, but now that we're trying for another, it seems to be getting more hopeless every time we try."
       "I don't know Val, I feel at times that I've done something to cause this. I feel like I've disappointed you and Issac, and that you're secretly angry at me."
       "It's not you Rae. I refuse to except that until there are no other possibilities to except. You are not the cause of this, and you shouldn't feel like it is. I'm not angry at you at all, I'm just... frustrated about all this and other things, my father being one of them."
       "Val, you don't have to worry so much about him. He's been staying on his side of town for what seems to be forever-"
       "But I don't know how long that will last! I couldn't handle losing you or Issac to my-"



       "Shhh my Valentine," she put my hair behind my ears, leaning her mouth closer to my lips ", now isn't the time for this. Let's try one more time before we seek a different route. I might feel like it's my fault, but I'm not going to give up that easily."
       "You're right, who knows, this time might actually work..."



(Rae)

       "Why the sad face mommy?" Issac asked me as I tried to talk to him about his fifth birthday next week. Three weeks and still no sign of me being pregnant. It would of been cool if I could announce to Issac on his birthday that he was going to be a big brother finally, but it was looking like that wasn't going to be the case still.
       "Mommy and daddy are still not able to have another baby Issac. Mommy isn't feeling to happy about it. She feels like a failure."
       "What? I talk to sissy this morning!"
       "I have no idea what you're talking about Iss-"
       "I taught my sissy how to say hi! I woke up, hearing a whisper and I said hi, and she said back, hi!"
       "Are you joking around here Issac?, because if you are, it's not funny."
       "I'm serious! She couldn't stop saying hi after I said it first." Issac rolled over to my stomach and placed his hand on it, a minute later he looked back up ", she still saying hi to me! You try now!"



       "Okay, if you want me to," I wasn't even trying that hard to focus. I'd given up hope finally on having another child. Almost four years of trying does that to you. I was about to tell Issac he was wrong when i heard it, a small whisper asking one simple question.
       Hi?
       "Was that you Iss-"
       "No mommy," he smiled as he touched my stomach again ", it was sissy!"
       This time I focused harder, and sure enough, there it was again, only louder and more clear.
       Hi?
       "Say something mommy!" Issac begged of me ", she wants to meet you!"
       "Okay Issac," Hi my daughter, it's your mother speaking.
       For a moment it was quite, then without warning she spoke again, bringing tears of joy to my eyes as she did.
       Hi mommy!



       "I'm... I'm pregnant!" I cried to Issac. There had only been a few other moments in my life that I'd been this happy, but this was going to be my favorite for eternity.
       "I'm a big brother now mommy!" Issac told me as he crawled into my lap, hugging my stomach where his little sister was, still telling me hello ", I love you mommy."
       "I love you too Issac," my arms wrapping around him, embracing him as my tears fell from my eyes onto his hair ", I love you so much right now!"




(Valentine)

       "Are you okay Rae?" I yelled when I heard her crying in the other room.
       "What? Oh! Yes Val! I've never been better!"
       That's strange, I thought, going back to my book ", if you say so Rae."
       "Daddy! Can I talk with you?" Issac asked me as he walked out of his room, leaving Rae alone.
       "Sure, what is it my little man?"


       "I was wondering how badly you want another baby," he asked as he walked up next to me ", because mommy is really upset about it. I was wondering how you feel about it?"
       "Is that why mommy was crying?"
       "No, mommy is very happy, but you still haven't answered my quest-"
   

       "Daddy," he said after he noticed my eyes watering as I picked him up ", why do you look like you're about to cry?"
       "You're so amazing Issac, I wish I could give you another sibling, but I'm afraid there is no way. Mommy and I have been trying , but nothing seems to be working!"
       "You want another baby just as much as mommy then?"
       "Yes, very much so."



       Issac's serious face went away and a huge, not so innocent smile appeared not long after ", mommy have something to tell you daddy, and you're going to flip!"
       "Huh? What are you and mommy hiding from me now?"



       "Oh, nothing important my love," Rae told me as she entered the room. I set Issac down and walked over to her, trying to put on my best 'I'm the strong man of the family' face.
       "What are you hiding Rae? You know I don't like secrets when I'm this down."
       "Trust me, you're going to be sad no more after I tell you what's going on..."



       "I'm pregnant with a girl Valentine! Issac told me he talked to her this morning and he told me to listen for her. I did and I heard her! I actually spoke with her!"
       "Are you trying to just cheer me up or are you actually-"
       "I didn't believe it at first either Val, but it's true. I'm pregnant with our first daughter! Listen for yourself!"
       I did as Rae asked, a small voice I'd never heard before asking me something I'll never forget.
       Hi? 
       "You hear her Val?" Rae asked, I simply just nodded my head. This couldn't be true. After almost four years, was Rae actually pregnant?
       "Speak to her daddy!" Issac told me as he tugged on my pants ", she's actually there!
       Ummm, Hi there. I'm your dad.
       Not even seconds later, the little voice started to laugh with happiness to all of us, hi daddy! Hi mommy! Hi bruther! Hi hi hi hi hi!



       "I can't believe it!" I began to cry, no longer trying to be manly. I could cry if I wanted to ", Rae, we're going to have another child!"
       "I know! I don't know how I should be feeling right now!"
       "I know one feeling I'm having right now."
       "And what would that be Val?"





       "I love you Rae. I told you it wasn't your fault."
       "You were right, you weren't just trying hard enough." she was of course joking with me, she was always joking around when she was in high spirits, and now was defiantly one of those times for us.
       "Oh! So It's my fault you say?..."



       "You want me to try harder then?" I said as I reached out to tickle her. Rae was one of the ticklish people I'd ever met. Her and Issac would squirm the the moment they were touched. 
       "Valentine! Not in front of Issac! He's too young to be... where did he go?"



       "You two have fun!" Issac yelled from behind the door he was hiding behind ", I'm going to be playing with my toys, then take a nap!"



       "He's becoming such a big boy now Val," Rae exclaimed as Issac closed the door, leaving us alone ", I'm not sure I'll be able to let him move on when the time is here."
       " Let's not worry about that just now, we have a baby to celebrate!"




And celebrate we did.


Author's Notes

This chapter is very close to my heart. My parents weren't able to have any children for five years after they got married, then after everyone told them they couldn't have children at all and they'd given up on having any, they had me! I'm dedicating this chapter to everyone who is unable to have children of their own and wants one. I've met tons of people who can't, and it brings tears to my eyes to watch them suffer because of it.

2 comments: