Friday, August 10, 2012

The Boy Of The Night Part 3


Warning! May contain subjects that are sensitive to some people. Not recommended for people thirteen and under (sorry about that). This is when the story starts to get a little dark.

If you haven't read the previous parts of this story, here is the link to finding them


(Rae Vincent)

       Valentine was so excited when I actually came back. He tried hard not to smile too much or too big, or else I would see his immature fangs that hadn't fully grown. He didn't know that I already knew what he was, but if I told him I did know, I'd seem like some sort of creeper. I really did want to be his friend, and I didn't want to scare him off, or him scaring me. Just because he seemed like he would never hurt a fly, that didn't mean he couldn't.
       "So... I've never had anyone over before," he admitted ", what do people do when someone comes over?"

        
       "Well, we could talk about ourselves some more, or go play some board games, or..." I stopped for a moment, thinking about whether I should say the rest ", get something to eat." 
       "You know what I am, don't you?" Valentine confronted me ", you know that I'm... a vampire."
       "I had some hints, yes, like the crate of plasma juice I saw your dad bring in, you being sensitive to the sun, although I'm not sure why you're more affected by it than your parents, and your baby fangs you keep trying to hide."
       "Ya, I've been trying to hide them but... I'm just so glad to have someone over!" he then bent his head toward the floor, suddenly becoming overly shy ", are you scared of me?"
       "Scared?"
       "Ya, are you afraid I might... try and hurt you?"
       "Kind of, yes," I might be a brave girl, but the thought of being hurt anymore scared me. I was abused enough at home by my dad, I didn't need to get hurt anymore than I was.



       "You don't have to be," he assured me ", I'm not a violent person... actually a vampire, but you know what I mean. I might crave blood, but I'm very controlled about it. I always have some sort of plasma in my reach if I do get hungry, but even then, I don't need it that often."
       "Should this be grossing me out?"
       "Perhaps,"
       "Well I'm not," and it didn't. I somehow found it very interesting. I'd never been one for blood, but the way Valentine said it, it made me want to know more. 
       "That's weird," he admitted to me ", I find blood disgusting, and I need it in order to live! Well, I'm actually undead, but once gain, you know what I mean."
       "Were you born this way?" I asked in full curiosity ", I don't see how it's possible to be born undead."
       "Vampires are not creatures of science Rae," he tried to convince me ", we're creatures of darkness, death, and magic all put together into one blood thirsty monster."



       "You don't seem like a monster to me. You're way to nice to be something so horrible," as I called his type horrible, I could see sadness wash over his face, like he knew it to be true, but didn't want it to be. He didn't deserve to be this way. He should of had a  chance at being human, to be able to go outside while the sun was out ", but that doesn't mean you're horrible. You're different somehow, but I just can't pin-point how or why. You just don't seem like you could kill anyone."
       "But that's all my kind is, killing innocent people just so we can survive, and we're not even alive! Why do humans have to suffer from us just trying to continue to live?"
       "And why do you have to suffer from not being able to go into the sun?" I asked, trying to give him a picture in his mind before I continued on with what I was going to say ", we don't know why things happen, but they do for a reason. We can't let who we are get in the way of what we want to be."
       "But all I want to be is alive, to go outside during the day and have it not burn me, to be able to make friends and be with people, doing things normal people would do. How can I be that Rae? There is no possible way for me to do just that."
       I thought about it for a moment, thinking over what Valentine had told me. He really did have it hard, but maybe he could be what he wanted, but in a different sense. Maybe, believing he wasn't a monster was all he needed to do, that and have someone to be there for him ", you might not be able to actually do those things, but you can stop believing your something you're not."
       "What do you mean?"


(Valentine Schlick)

       During that first time of Rae and I hanging out, Rae told me not believe I was something I wasn't. I might be a vampire by birth, but I wasn't one by heart. After she came over the first time, she kept coming over and over, but I couldn't understand why. What did she see in me? I was a monster, plain and simple. Why was she trying to convince me I was something I wasn't? It worked however, she finally did convince me I wasn't a horrible creature. Just because I was a vampire, it didn't mean I was some terrifying monster, and her coming over all the time was what finally convinced me that I wasn't. She wasn't afraid of me, no matter what I did that seemed out of the ordinary for a human, she still came over. Everyday, she told me how much fun she had and how she couldn't wait to come back. I always told her what days she couldn't come, because those where the days my parents were home, and they wouldn't be so pleased with me being friends with a human.


       My parents didn't believe that human's should be around except to be breed and drained of blood. They thought vampires were the superior species, and that humans were just their food supply. Those who were turned into a vampire were "chosen" as they would say, to be part of being the high end of the food chain. I knew what my parents would do if they found out about Rae, but I was determined to have her as my friend. You know why?...


       ... because I've met anyone like Rae. Her personality fascinated me, and whenever I looked into her eyes, I always thought I was alive, but how could that be? I was born dead!


       I wasn't until I became a teenager and I hadn't seen Rae for a while did I realize why she made me feel so alive. When Rae wasn't at my place, I was reading romance novels, my favorite being Beauty And The Beast. The Beast somehow reminded me of myself, scarred by ugliness and doomed to be that way forever, but in the end, he found someone who could except him for him, and it was then he became beautiful. I didn't know who my beauty was yet, but she had to be one of the most amazing people out there, to be able to love a face like mine she would have to be. I had been reading the part where the Beast realizes his feelings for the beautiful and smart girl when Rae came in.
      "Hey Val," she said to me as she threw her school bag on to my stone alter, AKA my bed ", sorry I haven't been coming as often, but I've been... ahhhh... having some issues at home."
       I hadn't been able to tell Rae that I've recently started to get some of my vampire powers, one being mind reading. So when I saw her thinking about her problems at home, I wasn't too pleased with the situation back at her house. Just one image of her father touching her in a manor he shouldn't of been sent me on a rage ", your father is abusing you?!?!"
       "What are you talking about Val?"
       "I've recently been getting some of my powers, mind reading being one of them, and what I just saw isn't how a father should be treating his daughter. Are you okay? How badly did he hurt you?"



       "You can read minds now?" she asked ", are you able to control it?"
       "No, I can't. It just happens and it's random, but that's not important right now, your safety is."
       "If wish there was something I could do, but this has been having ever since I was a baby," sure enough images of Rae's childhood popped into my head. Why did someone so smart, caring and beautiful have to go through something so terrible? Wait... did I say beautiful?



         I looked up at Rae's face after not seeing it for a couple weeks. There went my uncontrollable feelings of somehow being alive but not at the same time. For a moment I thought my heart was actually beating. Somehow sweat started to drip down my forehead as I continued to look at her. Could it be possible that Rae was my Beauty? I'd always thought she was pretty, and I'd realized as a boy that I felt differently about her than everyone else I'd met. To continue the matter, I always thought I read romance novels because I found them easy to engage in, but maybe it was because I knew something was missing in my life. Rae might of been my friend, but there was more to how I was feeling about her than meets the eye. I truly did believed that I loved her, and I was determined to help her anyway I could. 
       "Rae," I closed my eyes and tried not look at her for a second ", I know what he's been doing to you physically, but what has your father been calling you?"
       "Useless, unwanted, ugly, stupid, the list goes on. Why do you ask?"
       I opened my eyes, looking straight into hers, wondering how much pain she was actually going through and been hiding from me ", do you believe what he's been telling you?"
       She was quiet for a moment, but her mind was very active. She was starting to think about all the hours she'd spent hiding in her room, crying over what she believed to be true, that she was unloved. Her eyes filled with tears as she nodded yes to me.



       I walked over to where she was crying, putting my arms around her to try and comfort my best friend. She'd been there for me, helping me to become who I wanted to be, now it was my turn to be here for her 
", Rae, don't believe what he's been telling you. You're not any of the horrible things he's been calling you. You are loved, I don't know where I'd be without you."
       "And I don't know where I'd be without you Val, " she said to my surprise ", whenever I think that no one cares about me, I think of you. You were always trying to make my day better, even if you were having a terrible day yourself. You didn't know what was going on, but you still tried to be there for me. Thank you," but you couldn't possibly love me, no one ever could.
       "You do realize I heard that right?" I asked her, stoking her back to help relax and get rid of any tension going on. She seemed so strong, but on the inside she was fragile, just like I was.
       "But it's true... isn't it?"
       "You can't believe what your father says, he knows nothing about the real you. He's blind to how extraordinary you are. I however, know the truth, and I do in fact, love you... more than you think."



       Rae's back finally loosened up, her muscles calmed down and I could sense her mind coming to grasp that what I was saying was the real truth ", I'm loved? You mean it?"
       "Why would I ever lie about something like this to you Rae? It's the full truth, I do love you."
       Rae was mostly convinced, but a thought popped up in her head causing some doubt, and not the type I thought she'd be thinking, does he love me the way I love him? Does he love me as just a friend or...
       "I love you more than a friend Rae," I interrupted her ", there is only one person who could ever make me feel this alive while being undead, you."
       She didn't understand, especially as I began to let go of her ", why are you letting go? You admit to loving me back, but then you let go of me! Are you lying or just plain..."




I'm sorry if this was a sensitive part of the story for you. I know it can be hard, I have friends and family I'm really close to that have gone through this stuff. I haven't gone through any of it myself, but I know that when something reminds you of something you wish never happened, that you tend to feel terrible. I am once again sorry if I made anyone upset.

4 comments:

  1. how sad... but ya for Val & Rae!

    ReplyDelete
  2. another great chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story, it is really sweet and has a great lesson in it.

    ReplyDelete